RIP X: The Secret of the Underground Room

The Secret of the Underground Room, by John Bellairs

I just had to include a John Bellairs title, and it's been a long time since I read this one.

Johnny and the Professor's friend Father Higgins finds a talisman of stained glass that might be able to raise the dead.  When Father Higgins disappears, they realize he's been taken captive by an evil spirit, and they have to travel to England to try to save their friend.

Bellairs uses the island of Lundy in the Bristol channel as his backdrop, riffing on the island's history with the Marisco family and piracy.  So  Johnny and company go to Bristol!  Include Johnny and company on the list of characters who have something important happen on the Clifton Bridge.  I'll have to visit it someday!

Oh, and Kate Beaton of Hark! A Vagrant! included this cover as one of her comics featuring Gorey book covers.  Take a look...



Clifton Bridge, Bristol


Lundy, otherwise known as Puffin Island


Comments

  1. I don't think I've read this -- and I had no idea Bellairs set a scene on the Clifton Bridge! Must seek it out now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz