Power of Three

A more recent cover than mine.
I'm a day or so late with this one, but I didn't want to skip it because I really like this book.


Power of Three is fairly high on my list of favorite DWJ titles.  It has always appealed to me a lot.  It tells the story of three civilizations who know little about each other and are afraid--but they also unknowingly each have something the other needs to survive.  And it starts with a dying curse.

Most of the story is told from the point of view of Gair and his brother and sister.  Gair lives in a mound on a moor, and his life is made difficult when everyone from a neighboring mound--worst of all Gair's cousin Ondo--are attacked and move in.  Everyone is afraid of the Dorig, who live underwater and attack people whenever they can.  Gair then meets a couple of Giants (everyone avoids Giants as much as possible) and finds out that certain other Giants are planning to flood the entire moor, which would destroy Gair's people.  Two Dorig children appear too, and they all decide to try to talk and try to solve their problems together.  Mutual suspicion, however, makes this a very iffy prospect indeed, and there may not be much hope for any of them.

That's a terrible summary.  Sorry.  

My daughters went to see Frozen recently, and when I heard the plot I promptly thought of Gair and his brother trying to deal with something very similar.  Elsa's parents could have taken a hint from Diana Wynne Jones, was my opinion, though then there wouldn't have been a plot. :)  

Wouldn't you love a torque of green gold with owls' heads on the knobs? 


Comments

  1. This is definitely one of DWJs stronger "social issues" stories but I think it works and doesn't come off as preachy or anything. It comes off as hopeful and trusting in the best parts of any race/group/etc finally winning out and leading to peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu