I got an award


I've never gotten an award before and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Yay! Wait, I have to pick more?

JNCL over at The Beauty of Eclecticism was very kind and selected me to get this Versatile Blogger Award (which is my favorite color!) so thank you J! I have really enjoyed getting to read her blog since I joined her Medieval Lit Challenge this year. I particularly like the bit where she has a Master List you can read from, because last time I did a medieval challenge I had an awful time choosing books and this year it's going much better. (It's just like how in a library it's a good plan to have a trough of "good books" that you can point overwhelmed patrons to. It doesn't matter so much what's in the trough as long as it's a variety--the point is to give a limited range of choices.)

The rules of this award are as follows.

-In a post on your blog, present at least 5 fellow bloggers with the Versatile Blogger Award.
-In the same post, include the Versatile Blogger Award.
-In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to his or her blog.
-In the same post, share 7 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
-In the same post, include these rules.
-Inform each new winner of their award by posting a comment on their blog.

OK, so I actually have a problem now and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm not very comfortable picking 5 more people to give this to. It's too much like a chain letter. So...I'm not going to. Does that mean I lose the award? I don't know. I'm going to decide that this is all in good fun and it doesn't matter much.

Here are 7 random and fairly unimportant things about me:

  1. I love homeschooling but really don't want to do big crafty projects, unless they involve sewing. I do like science projects, especially if they aren't too hard to set up. I adore learning lots of history. And I really, truly think that classical education is the bees' knees. While I am all for individual choice in homeschooling, if it so happened that the Department of Education asked me to set the educational standard for American public schools, I would pick classical education as the best general preparation for the majority of children for life, informed citizenship, and any career path. And also Susan Wise Bauer and her mother, Jessie Wise, are my favorite homeschooling writers.
  2. I tend to use parentheses too much and always have to go back and edit them out (especially if I'm being talkative). I also use too many semi-colons. I'm not much good at expressing my thoughts, so this blog is as publicly articulate as I will ever get, and that's not much.
  3. I enjoy singing in a choir, but otherwise I am not terribly musical. I can't play an instrument or anything, though I took some years of piano and never got past the really really mediocre level. Nor can I claim to have an amazing voice--I wouldn't want to go solo or do a small group number. I do sing around the house a lot, so I wonder what my daughters will remember.
  4. My amazing special talent (if you don't already know me IRL) is that I make hand-dipped chocolates. Like See's, only better. 14 different kinds, even cherry cordials. My mom is better at it, but I'm pretty good. This is why it's a good idea to be my friend.
  5. Long ago, I spent my junior year of high school abroad--I lived in Denmark and joined a family and went to school. That was the factor that got me into Berkeley; my scores were barely adequate and I was surrounded by people who were far more intelligent and better prepared than I was. But I loved it and got a really super husband out of it, so on the whole I'm glad that I decided to be an exchange student when I was 12. It was a good idea (probably the only good idea I had when I was 12!).
  6. I like Diet Dr. Pepper way too much. On the other hand it is almost the only soda that I like at all. I still drink too much of it though. (Come on, a gal has to have some vices, right?)
  7. I love Oingo Boingo's music and will happily listen to nothing else for days at a time. It just makes me happy. That, and Bollywood movies.
Bonus thought: Go Bears!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz