Feminist Challenge: The Woman Warrior




The Woman Warrior, by Maxine Hong Kingston

This was a really famous and somewhat controversial book when I read it in college. I'm glad I got the chance to read it again now and absorb it better. The Woman Warrior is a collection of sort-of-personal-memoir, sort-of-fictional pieces with the common theme of a Chinese-American immigrant (or children of immigrants) experience, especially for women, with a lot of folk belief, imagination, and insanity thrown in.

It's a very readable book with lots to think about, and would make a good book club selection. I also just like the look of Maxine Hong Kingston, and think she would be an interesting person to see in real life.

Comments

  1. Wow. I haven't read that in years! That's the book where she speaks an unusual dialect of Chinese that nobody ever understands in America, right? I'll have to reread that myself someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she says her village's dialect must have been kind of weird because no one else ever understands their Chinese.

    Yep, you should reread it! It doesn't even take that long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think, so please comment!

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

A few short stories in Urdu